It's Needle & Thread Time!

Lately I have had the incredible urge to sew things. Seeing as how I still haven't acquired a sewing machine, I am left with the old-fashioned hand method which can be fun, but very tedious. A few weeks ago, I picked up this little gem, The Cute Book, by Aranzi Aronzo and Anne Ishii, at my local Barnes & Noble store. All you need is a few pieces of felt and a needle & thread and you're off!

My first project was a little squirrel from felt! All the patterns are included in the book. After my first project, I think I might do things a little differently. First, I might increase the size of the pattern by enlarging by 20% when copying the pattern. Until I get the hang of it, it would help to work a tad bit larger.

Here are a couple of pics of my first (and so far only) attempt to sew one of these cute creatures. The Squirrel made me fall in love with the book, so I had to try it first, of course!


Here are two other books I've found on amazon that I am now longing for :

Doodle Stitching by Aimee Rae. I love embroidery! Even though I haven't been able to set the time aside to really get "into it", this stuff is GREAT! I'm really loving the idea of turning doodles into embroidered designs. I would love to have this book, but even without the book the cover is inspiring!

This little book, Softies: Simple Instructions for 25 Plush Pals by Therese Laskey , looks like a lot of fun! The projects seem to be a more complicated version of "The Cute Book" paired with a little bit of decorative embroidery for fun. I love the little tree on the cover! Check out this book on amazon.com and you'll find the "search inside" feature helpful—It shows a few other projects from the book.

I hope all this needle & thread talk has inspired you to greatness! Until next time...

 

6 comments:

suchsimplepleasures said...

so flipping funny because...i just bought a sewing machine, last night! i have been dying to make stuff, not sure what but...stuff! i've been staring at in inbetween checking my email. no clue how to use it but, it's missing the little cover thing that goes over where the bobbin is. so, i have to take it back. but, i'm buying those books! i think it might be easier to sew by hand, anyway!

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, Mary!! I just bought that Cute Book the other week too! Mine don't look like the photos in the book though. I need a little practice. I made the bunnies and the bear. I want to make the robot panda, but it looks intimidating. Take pictures of yours and I'll do the same!

Mary said...

Mel, that is so funny! The book is too awesome to resist...it just makes it look so EASY. It isn't hard...it's just a little bit tedious! And stuffing little tiny parts made from felt isn't exactly easy. I used cotton balls for mine rather than fluff... I will take a pic of mine and post it!

I also think it would help to buy better quality felt. I just got the stuff from the craft section, but some felt from the fabric area might be better!

Melissa said...

Wow, I didn't even think about different types of felt. Hmm. I'll have to try the squirrel next. :-)

Zee said...

Hi! I came over from NaBloPoMo. I'm challenging myself to comment on as many blogs as possible this month as well as post.

That squirrel is the cutest thing I've seen in a long time! Darnit, I might have to go get that book now...

Happy Posting!

Angela said...

(found you through the NaBloPoMo randomizer)

Those came out really great! I've been looking to get more "crafty" and those are right up my alley! I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!