2007 HOW Conference - Atlanta

I just got back from yet another amazing HOW conference! I have had lots & lots of fun meeting up with all my design friends. It is an amazing feeling to be surrounded by over 3,000 designers, and still seeing friends you know around each corner. LOVE MY HOWIES! :) Now that I am back, I thought I would blog each day about something interesting from my sessions.

The Drawing Habit - Danny Gregory

Danny Gregory really inspired me to draw more efficiently! One of his main points was that quantity is more important than quality. I find that my day-to-day doodles and sketches are things that are in my head when what I really need to do is focus on drawing what I see. Gregory's advice is to draw what you see, exactly how you see it. The more you practice the better off you'll be. Instead of a pencil, he encourages us to use a pen because he says we'll find that it forces us to slow the process of sketching down and makes us commit to a shape.

Gregory also mentioned the idea of "sketch crawls". We've all heard of "pub crawls", but he twists that notion into the artistic by gathering a group of friends to wander around sketching interesting places or things. He shared his tips for portable gear that allows him to have all the sketching things he needs at his disposal only in compact miniature form! His mini watercolor tin and aquabrush pens were awesome!

By trade, Gregory is actually a copywriter and his sketch books are journalistic in style. He has the most amazing handwritten illustrative journals! I have already ordered myself some aqua brush pens and I would love to get together a "sketch crawl" in ATL with some of the Atlanta HOWies as soon as we can!

Resources
www.dannygregory.com
Illustration Friday artist interview
Patti's Notes from the session
Tools
Niji Waterbrush
Waterbrush Fan
Elizabeth Perry's Sketching Materials


 

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Wish I could have been there!! I really need to get back into drawing. Wait, I should take out that "back" since I've never really "been into" drawing. It's so tough. No matter how many new years resolutions I make to sketch more, it never happens!!

Biggus Brotherus I Feel so Roman today) said...

Damn, I wish I had beeen there!

Big Bro said...

I found this sight:
http://www.sketchcrawl.com/


This sounds really fun. I wish I could get paid...say double my current salary just to scetch crawl. Dammit...I needs me a benefactor...