Idiocracy - Extra Big Ass Futuristic Fun


Maybe the makers of Idiocracy kept their movie under the radar because they thought the world wouldn't quite be ready for it. I learned about Idiocracy from the design blog Speak Up brought to us by the good folks over at Under Consideration. I recommend you read Armin Vit's take on the movie (complete with screen shots) for a very articulate account of the movie. Written & Directed by Mike Judge, the basic premise is that the future is going to be full of really dumb people who are over-commercialized and libido driven.

Honestly, it's hard for me to put into words all my thoughts on Idiocracy because while I laughed at Mike Judge's keen observations of today's society and how that translates into the future I couldn't help but think of how close our society could actually be to such a future.

Some people might say we are already there. When I see things in the news like online sexual predators and teenagers giving their 2 & 4 year old nephews pot-smoking lessons, I begin to wonder how far-fetched Judge's future is.

Some of my favorite highlights were the scene that showed how Fuddruckers eventually morphed into Butt:Fuckers and how fast food was reduced to automated booths that announced their "EXTRA BIG ASS FRIES". The White House staff was pretty funny too - they all wore enormous "bling" of the official presidential seal.

As Speak Up pointed out, this movie really does address branding and design in the future. They even go so far as to say that the future will be so commercialized that we will be naming our children "Hormel", "Frito", or "Mountain Dew". You think Nascar racing cars have a lot of sponsors? Judge's future shows disposable clothing with various logos covering every inch. This movie will make you laugh and make you question how far away we are from this kind of idiotic future.

 

4 comments:

themexcellentone said...

I know this has nothing to do with the Mike Judge flick (which I want to see) but I thought I'd pass this one along to you: http://www.icanhascheezburger.com/

Oh man...Ewok cat is hilarious.

Hope you guys are well!

Lee

Joy said...

I had a friend named Frito :)

goldennib said...

I'd say we are already there, too. I'll have to check it out.

Miss Chris said...

One of the funniest movies ever. Dr. Lexus was a riot! This movie seems scarily realistic...