I *heart* bears

Last weekend we went to Helen, Georgia with Patrick's parent's, his brother and his brother's wife. It was pretty fun! There isn't much to do but eat and shop, but this little bear park they have was the highlight of the trip. It's called the Black Foreset Bear Park and it's a sort of reserve for bears that cannot be left in the wild for some reason or another. One of them used to be a circus bear! They all seemed so sweet! They would walk around on their hind legs with their mouths open waiting for you to throw them apple & bread scraps. They would catch it mid-air too!
The cool black bear with the white scarf is from Asia. He was very photogenic! Oh, and the 2nd bear waving around his big old bear paw was totally adorable. He just waved and waved and I bet he got fed a LOT.

Okay, I could BEARly control myself when picking out the pictures for this! I had so many cute ones, so I narrowed it down to 13. Click on them to see all the bear beauty.













 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

lori sez:

"i could bearly contain myself" LMFAO!!!!

omg those bears are SO cute! i want one!

goldennib said...

They are so cute. I like the one with the two bears sleeping together and the one with the bear climbing the tree.

teahouse said...

Those bears are so domesticated...I don't know. It's cute and all, but there's something a little sad, too, about bears begging people for scraps, instead of out being the fierce hunters Nature intended them to be...

Mary said...

teahouse - yes, I think so too. It is sad, but at the same time, these bears cannot survive in the wild anymore because they have been raised in captivity or even abused. Some of them don't have their claws anymore either. At least one was a circus animal and the b&w asian bears were kept in a cage that was only 8'x10' and abused. They were sort of rescued. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they are very well taken care of. They were all very healthy looking and they had lots of room. It was very, very clean there too. No smell. They really have taken good care of these animals and that helps me feel better about them not being in their intended environments. I'm no animal mind reader, but they seemed content and they would be playful with one another too.

And maybe this is just another justification in my mind, but I also think that when certains animals (such as these who are not suited for the wild anymore) are put out there for the public to appreciate, then they enrich people's lives and allow them to really appreciate another level of life and nature that we would never be able to appreciate unless we could see the amazing creatures in person.

Geez, that was a long comment :) Not a soapbox, but it really is something I think about because I love animals so much. In many ways, I think they deserve respect and the opportunity for a fair, comfortable life just as humans do.

Andy said...

You know, the bears are cute. But when I first read the word "bear" I couldn't help but think about all the maulin' that's been goin' on! Great photos, nevertheless.

Big Bro said...

When I read that you had pics of bears, well, I thought you had photos of big hairy gay men.


*whew*

Princesa de Chocolate said...

Mary those are so so cute! :) I love them. So adorable!

Amsterdamn said...

Love those cute, stand-up round ears. How could you take a bear seriously with those things, even as s/he's ripping you apart in the wild?

Big Bro said...

Good thing this cat did not see that bear!



http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/06/10/picture_of_the_4.php