Illustration (LAST) Friday - "Sea"


>>click image to see larger<<

So, I wanted to do the whole illustration friday thing, but I was all wrong about how the friday to friday period works, so I am a week behind and I don't get to add my link to the list, but I did it anyways!!

I don't do illustration very often because it is very time-consuming, but I LOVE IT! It is so much fun. The theme was "Sea" and the first thing that came to mind was a whale, so I found a reference to draw from and began drawing the whale's form as closely as possible. Then I began to simplify that into a simple line drawing.

I was wearing corduroy pants yesterday which made me think of the lines on the underside of a blue whale, so I thought about how cool it would be to use textures to "paint" the blue whales color. So, I used a corduroy texture for the underside and dirty concrete for the rest of him. The water is a water texture I found and adjusted the colors for a "sea" appearance. Then I took the burn/dodge tool in photoshop to add more color variations and shadows.

Overall, I'm super happy with this and I learned that I CAN do illustration and I need to practice more!

 

5 comments:

Jeope said...

Kickass!

Oops. Can I say "kickass" here?

jk. That's a fine whale. Put it on the fridge! I think there's a Jan 2006 fridge thread still out there.

Mary said...

Thanks, Jeope! I needed that encouragement :) I can ALWAYS use that. I think I might just get out my magnet and stick it on the ol' fridge...

I dont want to do anymore work today, I wanna draw.

Melissa said...

Oh Mary, it's beautiful!!!!! Great use of corduroy!! :-) And that background is so tie-dye!! I can't wait to see what you come up with for this weeks illustration friday! I'm going to try to do it, but all my sketching lately has been for my zine page. I really gotta figure that out before the deadline kicks me in the pants!

goldennib said...

Mary - beautiful whale. I love the texture contrasts and the colors are beautiful. I like the drawing of the whale too.

devon said...

i love it! it makes me feel peaceful..

mission accomplished. :)