Garden State

Patrick is at work and I've been watching that movie Garden State with Natalie Portman and Zach Braff. If you've never seen it, I suggest you do. I really like it. Only bad thing is that it makes me all weepy every single time. It really isn't a particularly weepy movie, but there is this one part when he's talking about how one day you just kind of realize you have no home to go home to anymore and you find yourself homesick for a place that doesn't exist and how crappy that feels. :( You know, I've lived on my own for almost 8 years, but when my parents moved far away and out of the only house I ever knew, that really felt wierd. The town I grew up in for 20 years is empty for me now--no one I know lives there anymore and it feels wierd not ever wanting to go back to all those happy memories. I can't go back. It would hurt too bad to look at places that I can't "have" anymore. I guess new chapters of your life end and begin at different times for different people. I just never knew how hard this one would be -- or how permanent it would feel. But, what can you do? I guess one reason why I like this movie is because I don't think about sad things very often and when I do, I guess it just feels better to hear someone in a movie say what I feel so I don't have to say it myself.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a good movie. My boyfriend is in love w/ Natalie Portman too. *sigh*
Such standards to live up to.

~Joy

tamie said...

I've never seen it... but I can't relate to the story... I mean... I still live at home with the rents (until Andrew and I get our own place... soon) but I still live in the town I grew up in... and I still go to the places that I've been going to for my entire life...

oh... and I don't really like Natalie Portman...

but I'm glad you like it :)

teahouse said...

Yeah, I'm not her biggest fan either. I thought the movie was good. It tried to be unconventional, but the last 5 minutes were completely conventional. I bet they tacked on a happy ending after test audiences demanded it...

Andy said...

This is strange. I was going to post an entry in Sublimely Mundane I called "Sublimely Mundane: The Movie." I was going to cast Natalie Portman to play "Diversion Mary." Okay, the voices are talking to me again...

lori said...

yeah i was liking the movie until the last 5 minutes, too. it has its charming moments.

and is it just me or could zach braff play a young ray romano?

it's weird when your parents (or you and your parents) move out of the house your grew up in. i had a hard time adjusting. whenever i dream about being at home my dreams take place in the house i grew up... not the one my parents live in now.

Anonymous said...

KRISTA:

i too live at home with my parents and have lived in the same area all my life.
however, i LOVED LOVED LOVED "garden state"!! i thought miss portman did an incredible job and the movie makes me cry and smile at the same time. :)

Mary said...

I guess it is just the price of living in Cali. vs. the price of living in Alabama that makes it more economical to stay at home longer and go to college closer.

Here everything is so spread out. And therefore you get spread out from your family really easily.

Be glad you are all close by your family! You really miss that comfort spot when it is gone.

kari said...

isn't "garden state" lovely?