Before I die (longest blog ever...sorry!)

This may seem dumb, but whenever the TODAY show started all that "Live for Today" stuff, it really got me thinking about the simple things I want to do before I die. And there aren't too many SIMPLE things, but here is a top 10 list of the things I would like to do before I die.

10. Host some sort of really fun, really big celebration with lots of friends and family around.
I've never had a big family and what family I do have is spread out all over the country now. We never had traditional, big family get-togethers, but I did always love the small family reunions and stuff. I've only been to one family wedding in my lifetime too! I kinda missed out on all that traditional family stuff and that makes me sad.

09. Go on Safari
I have wanted to go onSafari since I was a little kid! I loved National Geographic and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom shows on TV. Going on Safari and #6 on my list (pyramids) where my DREAMS as a child (so was visiting Dinosaur Nat'l Monument in Utah - but I did that when I was 19).

08. Visit Australia
When I think Australia I think of wildlife and I love animals. I would enjoy seeing the outback and getting the down-under version of a safari trip. I would also love just to visit the cities and see the Sydney Zoo (which is supposed to be one of the best zoos in the world!). I would learn to scuba for this trip so that I could see the great coral reef!

07. Do an art history tour of Europe
I tried to go to Italy when I was in my Junior year of college but it is hella expensive! I was crushed when I realized there was no way for me to go. I was already on a list to find a roomate for the semester and everything! I still want to go one day and really see all of the wonderful things I learned about in Art History. I had 7 art history classes (which is enough for a minor if they allowed graphic design students to have that minor- but they don't here!) and it really sucks not being able to see the frescos & architecture in person.
Italy would be my main concentration, but there are so many other great things (especially architecturally) in Europe I would love to see.

06. See the great pyramids
Like I said, this stuff has fascinated me since I was a kid! There is something so mystical about it all. I don't know what they allow you to see, but it would be cool to be able to see some of the chambers or see archaeologists working on a site!

05. Swim with dolphins
They seem so darn friendly and fun! They are like big, water dogs or something. I think it would feel wierd to be in such close proximity to a large, underwater animal!

04. Visit the Ruins of Rome & Pompei
Another one of those childhood curiosity things. I was so infatuated with Pompei when I was a kid...I would watch every single show that came on TV about it and I would get my mom to rent videos from the library and stuff. When I was 9 I wanted to be an archaeologist. I wanted to do that until I was about 19 and realized it was something I liked, but I didn't want to do for a living - there wasn't enough change. But, animals & archaeology definately rule my interests.

03. Swim in the clear blue waters off the coast of Bora Bora
Another thing National Geographic magazine did for me when I was a kid was show me beaches and oceans & stuff. We never EVER went on vacation to the beach. My father was a mountain man and in the mountains we stayed. I had never even been to the beach before until I was 15. Bora Bora was a fold-out spread in one of the Nat'l Geo mags we got all the time. I tore it out and put it on my wall and then found Bora Bora on a globe. The island is shaped like a ring and the water around is clear blue. From the overhead shot in the mag it is was emerald green all around the edges of the coast. I wish I still had that picture.

02. Hold a baby tiger Cub
This is the most simple of my requests from life. I think I may be able to make this one happen if I tried. My favorite of animals is cats and big cats rock. I have always wanted to hold a baby tiger cub. I love their feet. They are so cute and cuddly looking and they have the funniest little roary-purr thing they do. I've seen "Growing up Tiger" on animal planet like 5 times!

01. Travel from East coast to West Coast (up the California shoreline) & back again in a convertible
This just sounds like FUN! It is so cliched, but I would love to take an entire month (may would be good!) and just drive from coast to coast and stop anywhere I want to. I want to eat at little obscure hole-in-the-wall diners and see all the little out of the way places. I want to stay off the interstate and drive the backroads the way they do in movies. Then when I get to California I want to see the entire coast line all the way up to seeing the redwoods.

Can you imagine what an incredible life you would have lived if you could do just 4 or 5 of those things?!

What is something YOU really really really want to do before you die?

 

0 comments: