St. Therese of Lisieux

So, I was brought up Catholic, but that doesn't mean that I am really very Catholic. I am used to it -- I'm familiar with it, but in all honesty, I consider myelf no part of any particular religion. Because of this, I am very drawn to Mother Theresa and her life and words -- she was very open to other religions, she believed much like I do. I have been reading another book about her work and I found out that she took her name from St. Therese of Lisieux. I just so happen to know that I am related to St. Therese of Lisieux -- her earthly name was "Martin" and that is my mother's maiden name. My mom knows all the exactness of it, but we are indeed related. It isn't hard to track because she was born in 1873--that isn't that long ago.

Anywho, I was reading about her online and found a prayers & petition page to her where people add their sorrows and ask for help. It made me so, so sad to read the thoughts that people have with them all through the day -- thoughts of loved ones who are dying, alcoholic, lost, or addicted to drugs. People who pray to find a wife or pray to find a husband because they are lonely. I think those are the saddest of all.

It amazed me how many times a day prayers were posted. I can't imagine how many prayers are rambling through the minds of people. I bet there are some people who hold back a lot and save their thoughts for prayers.

I'm not an ultra relgious person, but I do believe it being thankful for the miracle of my life. I saw a quote in an Aldous Huxley book of essays that said something to the effect of "If you pray and do good deeds to get to heaven then you are leading yourself astray. If you pray and do good deeds to avoid hell then you you are leading yourself astray. If you pray and do good deeds because it fulfills your heart, then you are on the right path."

That is how I believe.

Just some random thoughts...

 

0 comments: